March 05, 2010

fixation friday








I've found myself obsessing over silly things throughout my life. Remember The Muppet Show? Dukes of Hazard? Happy Days? NKOTB? Debbie Gibson? Corey Haim circa the Lost Boys Years? Sky high bangs and pinch rolled jeans? Pearl Jam and Flannel Shirts? Ladies Night at the local club where Ladies drink for $1.00, or better yet, FREE? Football? Stickers, and ponies, and myspace.com? Facebook? Blogger? Yes, I was obsessed with all of these things in my lifetime, plus many more. I thought what better way to get out all the pent up obsessions than to share them with everyone here. Don't worry I won't be boiling a rabbit or making strange dolls out of hair - I out grew that a long time ago. *crazy eyes* Then I thought what could make this even better, hmmm, I know, why not make it a weekly/bi-weekly thing. I don't consider myself a very obsessive person but often times if I come across something I really like or admire, it's hard to get my mind off of it. This happens more often than not with things such as food, or fashion, music or home interior design. Above all, food is the worst! I will think about said food item until I can actually eat some. Seriously - I once had a craving for a really good steak that lasted for 2 weeks until I finally ate steak. SO here goes. My obsessions, fixations and things I can't stop thinking about or get enough of.

Todays FRIDAY FIXATION: Maple Glazed Bacon Dipped Donuts.



Yes, you read that correctly. HELLO, NOM! Recently while watching an episode of  The Best Thing I Ever Ate on Food Network I discovered these beauties. This show sits down the channel's culinary celebrities and interviews them about the best food they ever ate, and where they ate it. I am usually left drooling by the time the show is over. This episode in particular was all about bacon. Now truth be told bacon is horrible for me to consume in large amounts, there is a big history of heart issues in my family, but I don't eat it often enough to really cause any serious damage. Seriously, its rare and if I purchase bacon for a recipe it lasts well past the date of freshness, we usually have to throw it out which I HATE doing so I tend to not buy it very often at all. I can't remember who talked about these donuts, and I can't remember where they said they got them (bakery in NYC is all I remember). But they looked amazing. Fresh donuts are dipped in a maple glaze and then dipped again into some fresh cooked, crispy bacon. This is a PMSer's dream. (Note: there is also cooked bacon worked into the batter for the donuts). I would probably die after eating one but the death would be SO sweet. I've found a few recipes on the internet and I'm tempted to try these for a party. Seriously, if I made them for M and I we'd eat them all, probably in one sitting. These same donuts were mentioned again recently by someone else on television so I know they are coming more and more common. I haven't found anywhere around here that sells them. We only have KILL ME KREME available here and to be honest I'm just not a huge fan of the krispies. Although... they are now offering Banana Donuts for a limited time so I might have to get over my issue with them! I'm a sucker for bananas, even though they make my mouth itch.


So there you go, my Friday Fixation. A Homer Simpson worthy obsession. Hopefully I won't think about these for 2 weeks and be upset anytime I try to cure my craving with non-bacon maple donuts.

Happy Weekend Everyone!!!
Pin It!

35 comments:

Vic said...

So you know that Whataburger commercial (do you guys have Whataburger??) where they are all talking about how much they love bacon, and at the end a guy says "can somebody make a bacon latte?"

A coffee shop here in town actually made a bacon latte. And it is kind of delicious. Those donuts HAVE to be awesome!!

Stacy said...

Ok, the banana donut looks amazing. But I do not understand this obsession with bacon desserts. I have no desire to try them. Sounds NASTY to me. Capital N-A-S-T-Y!

Rach said...

Oh my good God. Be my bff! I saw that episode and was FASCINATED with those... could Not.Stop.Thinking about it.

Also? Re: your confession today, I have a shrink-wrapped copy of 30 Day Shred in my DVD rack too.

And in my awesome hometown there is a bar that serves a shot we call the McMuffin... it's Absolut Mandrin, triple sec & a splash of Sprite & OJ... with a bacon twist. Booze plus bacon equals BEST HANGOVER EVER.

Unknown said...

Okay, those look TERRIBLE! Not a bacon fan and not a banana fan BUT I do like Sausage. Sausage donuts? Hmmmm...

Theresa Milstein said...

Personally, I like my bacon separate from my donuts. I've been on a grits kick these days.

Cathy said...

I love donuts. mmmm...donuts.

Ok, so I see you EVERYWHERE in blogland and figured it was time to come stalk you. I'm not scary. Promise.

Jane said...

Congratulations Princess! :)

Now I'm thinking a bacon-scented FDS spray could be my million dollar idea.

meredith said...

there are some things i am thankful i cannot eat because i'd be totally and utterly fixated and addicted to. i.e. these damn donuts. when i was in middle school, i used to eat the crap out of krispy kreme donuts.

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

Vic - we don't have Whataburger here - which is sad. Everytime we pass the sign on our trek from Alabama to Maryland, M tells me the same comment about Whataburger - it's sort of cute. I've never had anything from there. BUT BACON LATTE? DIE! I would totally try it!

LOL Stacy - you eat the banana I'll work on the bacon!

High Five Rach! BFF POWERS ACTIVATE! Seriously I feel bad that the DVD is sitting there but at the same time, M's been using the xbox (my excuse). I've heard about vodka and bacon, but I don't think I want to get sick on that.

That One Girl - *drool* sausage donuts! Seriously I'd even take Sausage encased with French Toast Donuts!!!

Welcome Cathy!!!! I love donuts too hence why I never buy them for myself. One of my customers brought us 2 dozen donuts today... I've been trying NOT to eat them.

Jane - I think we'd attract too many stray cats and that would totally clash with our Japanese Mint poots!

Meredith - I could maybe make you some marshmallows with maple glaze and bacon (can you eat bacon?!?!) Not exactly the same but close - hell I'll even toast them bitches! ox

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

Theresa - ZOMG! I tried to stay away from grits when I moved here. Now M laughs because I always order them with breakfast. SO. Addicting!

Unknown said...

Im sorry were you saying something....I heard the word donut and bacon and just about lost it!

Christina said...

dunkin donuts makes a maple glazed. Im not saying its anyhting compared to nice homemade/scratch one. But if you get there early enough when they are good and warm (and not stale) you could score a few and then bring them home and top with some thick cut maple bacon you cooked the night before.

It wouldnt be the same as one thats planned perfectly with bacon grease in the mix, etc but it might cure your craving and satisfy your curiousity.

Ive def. had these craving and they often involve bacon. I discovered PBJBs (peanut butter jelly bacon) sandwiches on one of those food network shows, too.

Pasta with bacon topping (if i see it in a magazine) among others

but i dont eat it other than in these weird off the wall craving situations, either!

Christina said...

oh and once you topped the donut with bacon you want to put it in the mic for 10 seconds.....
thats what makes a donut yummy tasting/warm/soft. and that may the bacon will melt a little into the frosting...
okay okay okay now i want one! oh no!
i really do! watch i will get one tomorrow, for real. Ill let you know how it goes.

bananas. said...

OMG...lady i just upchucked a little seeing that. i hate donuts. used to love them but got sick off them as a kid and have been traumatized since. adding bacon bits didn't help one bit but you enjoy! haha.

happy friday!!!

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

Good idea Christina! I like the concept of PBn'J with Bacon!

Kiera said...

YUM. let me know when you have one. If you die first I'll be annoyed.

If your mouth itches after bananas it probably means you're allergic which probs means you're allergic to latex too? My mouth itches after canned pineapple and pecans.

I have a fixation problem too. Right now it's on knitting and sewing and crafts crafts crafts. Note: I neither know how to knit nor sew. damn. try saying that outloud 3 times fast.

L said...

I have to admit, I'd probably be willing to pay ALOT to try one of those donuts! Ha! Havent seen that episode of Best Thing I Ever Ate yet but I have a feeling its a good one I need to watch! Love the fixation friday idea!

L said...

p.s. CONGRATULATIONS Confession Princess!

SurferWife said...

I just gained approx 3.2 pounds by simply reading this post. And all of our Krispy Kremes disappeared around here....

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

Kiera - I know I'm allergic to bananas it's sad but I keep forging through. I am also I think mildly bothered by latex. My face feels horrible after a trip to the dentist when they have on gloves. :(

Anonymous said...

Why must donuts be so horrible for you, when they are so delish? Oh right, that's most stuff. Sigh.

ashlina {the decorista} said...

mmm. those look so yummy! just found your blog.
and i heart it!!!! will be following you

xo

NYCGAL said...

OMG that bacon donut looks sooo good! *drooling* lol!! Great PMS food is right! Nothing like salty/sweet that time of the month...

Christina@Health Foodie said...

I can SO relate! In Swiss I have a word for these things, it translates to "farts". If you are really obsessed about something (and then it passes) it is a fart. I have them all the time. I love it, it keeps me going. It makes me so happy when I have a fart... Love farts.

- Christina

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

Christina your terminology lets me know you're a girl after my own heart! I totally fart that sentiment! lol

Welcome Ashlina!

Shana said...

Yeah, I saw these donuts also - on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. At first I thought...ewww. Then I thought...yum. Now I really want to try them. I'll let you know if I find them.

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

Shana THAT is the other show I saw them on - THANK YOU! It was driving me crazy trying to think of the 2nd show I saw these discussed. I think I will have to resort to making them at home. If I do - I will document the process.

Scientific Housewife said...

Wow, those are interesting!

foxy said...

Okay, the maple bacon donuts do sound oddly tasty. Hmmmmm.

Bev said...

Oh, those are so wrong, they're right. Mmmmmmm.....

Allyson said...

What we need is to live way closer to each other so we can split a package of bacon. I will, from time to time, come across a recipe that actually calls for bacon..but not a whole package. And since bacon is DEFINITELY not on our daily list (hello CAD) it goes bad. I even let a box of pre-cooked bacon go bad. That is mad skillz, my friend. I'm not sure how I feel about maple bacon donuts, about the same as I felt about salted hot chocolate and fried Twinkies, actually. Try it once, love it forever. But banana donuts? Yeah. No. I can't do bananas. Bleh. Doublebleh. *yacking in corner in a metal trashcan from 3rd grade*
I'm all about this Fixation Fridays though. Groovyjuice!

Unknown said...

Those banana doughnuts look so very yummy! Have a sweet day!

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

Thank you Allyson! I liked the idea. I fixate on way too many things might as well get it out. I'd be worried that I'd love fried twinkies! I have yet to attempt to make fried chicken for the fear I'll do well and then want it all. the. time! I burned myself out on cheesecake and thankfully it was quick.

We DO need to live closer together - not just for the bacon's sake. You would think they could sell bacon in small packs of like 5-10 strips. They are always SO huge at our store. I thought about cooking it all and then just crumbling it on stuff but still that's many, many days of unhealthy bacon. Even if it's Turkey bacon it's still fried and not so great for you :(

My Favourite Things said...

Okay, this is the second time I've seen bacon combined with something sweet (there's also bacon covered cupcakes) I was revolted at first haha...but perhaps there's something to this foodie trend!

sanjeet said...

A coffee shop here in town actually made a bacon latte. And it is kind of delicious. Those donuts HAVE to be awesome!!
Work From Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2017 Turned Up to Eleven. Powered by Blogger.
 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com