The biggest question I got all weekend long was "How was your first Christmas as a married couple?" I was not really sure how to react to this question. It was amazing! What else would it have been? But I don't feel like it out shined any other Christmas Mike and I have spent together in the past 7 years. We have lived together since before our first anniversary of dating, and we already have our own couple oriented traditions. We open one gift before we head to his family's house for Christmas Eve, which is always fun and special. This year his was a Griswold's Family Christmas Tshirt, and mine was Forrest Gump on BluRay. [one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time!] And we then celebrate with a big meal with his family, open gifts together and then come home and relax for a while before turning in. The next morning we wake-up and open gifts. I think I slept until 8:00 am this Christmas which was nice. We did stay up until about 2 AM the night before. We finished the holiday off by spending the afternoon again with his family eating steaks and talking about all the great gifts Santa brought us. It was perfect. Having my father there would have made it even more perfect but since he's due to retire in mere weeks, he had to finish his jobs and then he will come visit me right after the new year!
I had a really hard time formulating a wish list this year. It was hard to think of anything I wanted, or needed. After having our wedding and receiving a ton of great gifts there was really nothing left to TRULY want that didn't seem a bit silly. I am married to the man I always wanted to be married to, I have a wonderful extended family now and it just seemed silly to start asking for anything after being given so much.
In true "only child syndrome" fashion I forged ahead and made a list for Mike's mom including practical things such as a new comforter set, and cookbooks. I added video games and shoes for Michael and called it a day. His mom out did herself this year, not only did she purchase items on our list but she got us fun extras. [3D Video Game Glasses, Cute Charms for Necklaces, a fab resin tortoise watch!!]
I have to say the most special gift I received of course was from Mike. For a few years now I've been coveting a necklace and charms from Waxing Poetic. My lust for these things started upon meeting one of Mike's younger brother's girlfriends. She had one of these necklaces and it was awesome. The perfect combo of every day necklace with flare and both gold and silver represented. It had been years since I had basic everyday necklace that I never took off and I was dying to have one of these. I think I've been asking for this gift for about 2 years now. I'm am however thankful he waited until this year. It's more significant now. The charms I wanted reflect initials for my name. If he had purchased them last year, or the year before I would have a K and a W. Now that I'm married, my new lastname begins with a H. Knowing this, and hoping I'd get the charm this year, would mean so much more since it was a gift from my new husband.
Mike pulled out all the stops! It was the final gift I opened that morning and I was OVER THE MOON excited! Paired with a great flat cable chain it made me smile from ear to ear! I put it on immediately and haven't taken it off since!
Two items I've been wanting for a lonnnnng time are the two following books. I'm obsessed with the Pioneer Woman and nothing has replaced my love for Domino magazine since it stopped being printed.
Last but never least it's not like me to wish for practical things usually. But I couldn't get my mind off these slippers. I hate my old slippers and even more I hate walking into the kitchen in socks, only to step in a huge puddle of water that the dog has left behind after emptying her water bowl. It must have been a very husbandly thing to do this year to purchase slippers for the women of the H Family because not only did I get slippers but so did my MIL and my new SIL as well. Well done boys! P.S. Mine are still the most awesome!
|SO COZY!!! Roxy Snowflake Slippers via pacsun.com|
What was your favorite gift received or given this season?
I can't let the last Friday of the year go by without linking up for Shana's ....
So here goes, my week of Random Thoughts!!!
- For the life of me I can't figure out how two people can make SO many dirty dishes. I bet Mike and I put away and reload the dishwasher no less than 2-3 times a week. It's insane. I know that when I cook I tend to dirty at least 3 bowls at a time. I really need to get a larger cutting board to which I can place all the cut up items out of my way and continue to chop. This would help with the overuse of clean bowls. I also tend to dirty up a lot of pots. I've tried to start mastering many one pot meals. My resolution is to cut down on the amount of dirty dishes we create, and hopefully the amount of water we waste when washing all of these.
- I love steam in the bag veggies. This cuts down on the use of said pots, and pans and dishes.
- My hands are so dry and my nails are a wreck. I've started taking my vitamins again, and hopefully through the use of lotion and oil my nails will get back on track. Any suggestions in wonder treatments you ladies have found is greatly appreciated.
- We have no plans for New Years Eve yet. Usually this would drive me crazy but this year I'm almost content to stay in, make an amazing meal, sip some wine or rum and relax watching movies. I've either become and adult or figured it would be better than fighting the crowds at the bars.
- I am SO SO SICK of fast food, junk food and anything that isn't whole food. I'm trying to use this sickness as a way to motivate myself to start eating well again. So far it's not working, Mike is sending me to McDonald's to pick-up our lunch. I can win a tiny battle here if I choose a salad over say a cheeseburger thought, right?
- We have a pile of gift cards that we have yet to use from our wedding. I might be the only person on earth that tends to hold on to them forever for fear of purchasing something and not having the gift card anymore. It's like money you'll never get back. It's a strange hang up I have... I keep telling Mike I want to survey our gifts [which most are still in boxes] and make a list before stepping out to the store and mindlessly purchasing items we may not truly need. Responsible, yes... fun, not in the least.
- I need to make a list of resolutions, or goals for 2012. We all know what the biggest one will be... get in shape. As if I had to say that again. But I want to go deeper than that.
- If we do go out for New Years Eve I have an outfit in mind, but no shoes to go with it. #firstworldproblems
I hope you all have a happy and safe New Years Eve and that the New Year brings nothing but happiness, joy and prosperity to all of you! Tah-Tah for now! See you in 2012!!!!